Shadows of the Ascendancy

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)

You all are swept up rapidly by the rescue special forces unit as commandos in odd heavy dark grey colored powered suits lay down heavy fire from the treeline. Without introductions the officer in charge orders his men to have the p’w’ecks subdued immediately and linked together in a chain gang with power cuffs. This percaution is unavoidable even with a high persuasion check although he still does listen to whatever you would say on the P’w’ecks behalf, but short of full combat the restraining will occur.
“Special Agent Jace? Tyco Inrokini sends his warmest regards and requests your presence in the city hall board room upon your return. As for the current status of the war front I am authorized to update you on the current state of war. We have lost all of the ground leading right up to the city of Senco’s gates. Admiral Kethiss is fairing only slightly better in his space campaign and still holds the space over the major cities on the planet, but now that we are not just fighting the P’w’ecks and droids, the fighting has become even more intense on all fronts. The larger Ssi have proven to be a more apt fighting force with better tactics and seem to be able to utterly control the p’w’ecks. I wil also say…” He looks over annoyingly at the P’w’ecks who are avoiding eye contact with all but you Jace and Tyr. He motions and the P’w’ecks are led away into a detention cell onboard the transport you are riding in. “I will say that we are working on a few strategies and technologies that might help us in this fight. We are working on Comms jamming tech that can flood an area and disrupt even tight beam comms and white noise generators that are flooding all comms channels with a high energy wavelength that makes any meaningful comms pointless. We are doing to them what they are doing to us, only better. We are also working on other strategies that i will not divulge that may well turn the tide of this war. Any questions?”

Comments

Wrrlrirr in Shyriiwook: “We have had experiences fighting some of the ssi ruuvi, and yeah they’re tough expletive that only makes sense in Shyriiwook but they aren’t unbeatable. Have any other major galactic powers sent forces? We should be getting more help! Where’s my damned ship? I want a piece of the action out there and I’m ready to keep fighting right now!”

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Keet agrees with Wrrlrirr. “Where do you need us General?”

If we get a second and have the capability, Keet would like to send a very encrypted message that bounces around several times between relays to his mentor recounting the recent events and progress. He leaves out no details.

He would also like to go retrieve the remainder of the green gemstone thing that we got from the Dragon’s gut, if it is safe and if there is time. It was a big stone so he will probably need a speeder. Also when we get further downtime or go back to our home base, He wants to talk to Dr. Lucius and see what can be done/created with the gemstone.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

I can only guess as the secret tech you hint at, Sir, as we both understand there is a certain futility while some threats linger. That said, I’ll expect those P’W’ecks, while under detention, will be treated as Prisoners of War, and entitled to all rights and protections that gives. They, like many others, have demonstrated a willfulness that needs to be cultured to turn these tides. They are my charge, and I hope that is understood."
Jace straightens himself, “Now, that unpleasantness aside, I’m interested in this comm-tech. Any sort of edge we gain from it? Can we somehow communicate while blocking all others comm?” Thinking a moment, Jace removes the droid command wrist unit, “I am sure this isn’t the first time someone’s been able to hand over this, but every bit counts, if you can find any use it this…please do. It was a remote control for their droids.”
Jace also strongly encourages the party to NOT distribute any tactical information, “I understand we all have many masters, and I cannot expect you to hold back anything, but realize we’re in a troublesome time, and know not what level of encryption cannot be cracked. Feel free to share what’s happened, but please do not say what might yet to come…The fate of not only ourselves, but whats left of this planet…maybe even the galaxy may depend on it…and you know I am not one for hyperbole.”

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Tyr will want to talk with Jace on how best to relay the information regarding the Force sensitivity of the Ssruuvi to the Chiss command before he does so. Tyr will then relay everything he knew about them previously and what he has learned since to the Chiss command in the manner that Jace recommends, thought likely slipping a bit on the decorum at times. He will then open himself for any level of inquiry that they have regarding the Force and this new development.

Tyr remains surprisingly quiet during the actual battle prep, willing to allow his more military minded friends handle the disposition of forces. He is going to continue to meditate all he can on the new information he has learned, including seeking repentance for his use of the Force against the creatures that wound up being a part of it. He will try his best to commune with Master Skywalker, knowing that he will not be able to communicate with him thru the comm black out, hoping that even a little bit of what he has learned can reach his Master. He does not call out for Master Kronis directly, but as he wanders in the Force, he will definitely leave that door open…

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

“Wrrlirr, we have sent our ambassadors to the galactic republic senate but have been turned down for the most part. The Republic will send in an investigation team to investigate our claims, but foreign support is not expected, at least from the new republic. We are pursuing other allies however and those avenues have been more fruitful, but the true extent to how fruitful remains to be seen…” The spec ops office relays to you. He turns to Jace with a somewhat confused look then hardens himself to remove any trace of emotion from his face at all. “Of course we will treat these P’w’ecks as prisoners of war if that is your recommendation.” With a quick snap of the fingers two of his men go into the room where the p’w’ecks are being held with some rations and to loosen their bindings ever-so-slightly. “The tech a radio emmiter that broadcasts on all known frequencies, very similar to what the Ssi have been doing to us throughout the invasion, only, well, we can and will do it better. The trick is not being able to jam comms but then to allow for us to still communicate. The answer to this is a prism based tightbeam setup which allows for one way command and control. The C&C can broadcast orders in all directions in 3D space in real time with each facet of the prism being able to emmitt a unique order. It is really quite fascinating and compliments of a brilliant inventor on IouM-1 by the name of Dr Lucian who actually got the material from a native megafauna in the gas giant. The leadership of Senco has requested your presence in the City Hall.” He says as the ship begins to shake and rock as the muffled sounds of explosions can be heard just outside the transport. “Brace for AA fire.” A voice says over the intercom. Everyone straps in and a multitude of bright blue and green flashes light up the interior of the ship as she makes her way thought the Ssi line and into the shielded confines of Senco city. The ship maneuvers through the spirelike cityscape to the City Hall whereby it lands, right next to all of your ships. The doors open and the Sepc Ops commander motions for you to disembark. “I wish you all good luck Agent Jace.” As he extends his hand for a shake. You disembark and the transport flies off immediately. You are left standing on the landing pad, your ships infront of you and the door leading into the City Halls main counsel chambers infront of you. What would you all like to do? -Ian there is not an opportunity to do what you wanted to do as of yet.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Keet’ka is very interested in the prism communications and asks for a demonstration if at all possible. He is curious to see if his vestigial organs may allow him to detect when it is being used.

He is also ready to go talk to the council and see where we are needed, recommending that parhaps the prisoners might accompany us in the field, provided they get further assurances of asylum and cooperation. They have been a boon thus far, and they may prefer to be active rather than sit in a cell. He will also record the message for his mentor in private and leave instructions for it to be sent in the event that his team does not return.

Lastly, he wants to restock his supplies (energy cells, medpacks, grenades, etc) and attempt to feel the ssiruvi again in the force. Knowing that some are not entirely cut off from the force, he will actively try to seek out the ones with connection, as appropriate in the coming days.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Tyr will ensure that the Trident is unharmed, and get an update from Grace over her activities with the Chiss forces after the past few days. He then recommends that they go speak with the City Council as requested. He does not necessarily think we need to bring the P’w’eck with them back into the field, but time to chat with them in the safety of the City would be helpful. He would also like to get a sense of what they are thinking on a surface level (Use the Force roll of a 32, against there Will save if they resist)

He will also find time to record an update message to the Jedi Council, requesting that it be passed on to the New Republic and Senator Organa as soon as possible.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Jace does what he can to oversee the, as stated, fair treatment of the P’Wecks. If he has time before the group is ready, he will run a quick look over on his ship, asking for a diagnostic read out, to make sure the ship is ready at a moment’s notice.
He puts in a request for some more medpacks, and then eagerly awaits the meeting with the council.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Ian, Keet’ka is actually able to detect the prisms use but is unable to decipher anything but the fact that it is being used (gives you a weird feeling in your genetically modified sensory organ. As for provisions, a service droid waiting for you at the landing bay informs you that due to the conflict at the city’s gates, all supplies are in ration mode and most have been sent to the front line (ie no medpacks, stims, or grenades) Energy cells are hard to come by but the droid places a special order on your behalf.

Tyr, the P’w’ecks appear uneasy (to say the least) and very unsure/confused. The Bluescale is the least uneasy however and all but the greenscale are not terrified. The greenscale is terrified.

All of your ships seem to be in great working order except that Grace seems upset that Chiss have been “crawling” over the ships over the past few days. Tyr does have some time to make a short recording that can be sent via prism relay (please write it in a forum post if you wish for a back and forth dialogue or post the general message if not). The P’w’ecks are treated roughly upon exiting the transport but the spec ops leader orders that that stop immediately and escorts them all into the huge ivory spire-like building. Once you all finally get your ship diagnostics and messages completed, you head over to the protocol droid that is waiting for you on the landing pad and it escorts you into the building. Through a few graceful turns and sliding doors, you happen upon a very large circular chamber, clearly meant for oratory. The seats are about half filled, some with aristocrats and other with dirty and bandaged up Chiss warriors complete with blaster rifles. In the center of this chamber that seems to have, at max capacity, 600 or so is an elevated platform with a network of 8 different holoprojectors, each with a large Chiss face peering at one another and the crowd. The protocol droid requests you take a seat in a section reserved for you. You take your seat amidst a heated discussion about what appears to be the best means to preserve the cultural artifacts of the museums within the city to include the acquisition of some transports to begin ferrying the items to a neighboring city Tilithia. With that line item concluded the focus shifts to military preparations. One of the young faces on the holo feed bows out and in his stead a new much older and somewhat grizzled face appears. “Council… I am Admiral kethiss. Please forgive the use of my LT in my absence but i am in the midst of planning a major offensive against the Ssi fleet on the lee side of the moon Alpha 3. The special weapon that the Ssi have (‘Weapon X’) has been detected in system! We Must strike now so-as to take the element of surprise away from the Ssi. I believe the weapon is under capitol ship protection on the backside of Alpha 3. We will be assaulting them with the majority of our forces but will be leaving the CADV SENESHAL and accompanying fighters under the command of CAPT Ludithil behind to provide orbital cover for your city. The attack is planned for 2 hours from now unless the council has any major objections. I will remind the council that the Defense minister has put full priority on finding and eliminating the weapon.”
The room erupts into a deafening and indistinguishable muttering as the faces around the room seem concerned and alarmed. Just then a tall women takes the platform, full aristocratic regalia of someone of utmost importance and the confidence to match,
“We understand Admiral but with only the small cruiser to defend the city we will have to rely on the cities defenses to protect us from a full ground invasion. Our forces are sparse and tired and the enemy is gather more reinforcements from the jungles. Perhaps we should begin talking about a phased retreat of our civilian population?”
The general regards the lady with a respectful nod then speaks’ “We will strike hard and run back to your guard Lady Mythinal Inrokini. Still I think we should all get the briefing directly from the special forces unit. Perhaps our Special unit may be able to give us a rundown of their findings during their mission?” Just then the chamber gets silent and all eyes are upon you all.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Xan’Koth will begin a dry tactical recap unless Jace steps in to lead the narrative. Xan begins with the attack on the outpost providing information on enemy troop strength in each engagement and a brief description of tactics. He gives strong warnings of the Ssi-ruuvi and P’w’eck commandos who are formidable opponents but does not give specific information about any commandos the team exchanged more than blaster fire with.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Keet’Ka will backup everything that Xan’Koth says and add any relevant tactical tidbits that he might have forgotten (but not intentionally left out). He also mentions the dissension in the Ssi ranks between the different Champions and the upper leaders. (I think we witnessed this right, or was that when we played the pi’wecks?)

Keet is willing to go where he is needed, but requests that he and his team (assuming they want to go) get a crack at taking out this superweapon.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Jace allows Keet and Xan the time to finish their piece. He reinforces Keet’s comments about dissent among the ranks. “The Ssi-ruuvi bleed and waver like any other opponent. While their zealous nature bolsters them, some can be broken, and even utilized. The Ssi will fight fiercely, but the P’Wecks will typically back down, or even surrender, when the Ssi command is destroyed. Perhaps Gorilla tactics would serve us best. We need to focus on harassment and preservation. The true war is being fought in the Sky above, I suspect.”
OOC: Can I take 10 for a 23 knowledge tactics to know if the following idea is just plain bad, and if it is…I don’t say it…
Jace ponders the situation, “Perhaps a mock offensive, to draw the ire of the super weapon? A brazen orbital attack may draw its attention, distracting it from the true attack force, intent to take it out? I speak for myself, but I would volunteer to be a part of the mock-force. The trick being perhaps skeleton crews, somehow registering with life signs, and droids to provide some level of resistance.”

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Tyr gets the sense that the information he has regarding the particular methods and energies of this weapon and the Force sensitivity of the P’wecks and the former Champion will be lost of the gathered council, and stays silent, unless Jace feels that this information will be helpful to the council. He does say to Jace that informing the council that some of the Ssi find this new weapon to be abhorrent might be to their benefit. He also supports the notion of a mock offensive, seeing as how the weapon seems to need time to charge the power necessary after it is fired once. If the attack force moves against it as a whole again as they did in the first encounter, It will wipe them out has it did before. He stresses that even a token force left aboard these distraction ships will be in life threatening danger, that no shields of armor can stop what this weapon does to living creatures.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

OoC- Aaron, do we get the sense that Force sensitives increase life force readings on their scanners beyond normal amounts, or that the presence of a force user on a ship would draw there attention faster than if not?

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Wrrlrirr will also back up Keet and Xan’s analysis of Ssi Ruuvi tactics. He will volunteer that smart tactics can massively reduce the danger of the so-called Weapon X,and suggests that large numbers of smaller, more maneuverable ships would fare better. It takes time for the weapon to charge up and it can only cover so much space in a given blast, so the more thinly we spread out our ships the less a loss each salvo from the super weapon will incur.

Since we know from experience that it takes time to charge, and we’ve seen the charging process first hand, we could use hit and run tactics as Jace suggested. Quickly closing on the ship or ships which carry the weapon and trying to destroy them, and then spreading out and using distance to protect ourselves from it when we think it is almost ready to fire. For this, ships that are fast, armed with torpedoes, and with small crews will be the most effective. If we could draw the super weapon out with a mock offensive and then surprise them with a large number of such small ships, we might even be able to destroy the device before it fires its first shot.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

The holovid of Admiral Kethiss nods in agreement as you explain the need for guerrilla tactics and listens intently as you explain the mock attack strategy. The room erupts into conversation until one of the bureaucrats speaks up. “We do not have the resources to stage a MAIN attack, let alone a mock one… We must divert all resources to the defense of the cities. I must protest this attack on the superweapon at this time. We must hold on until help arrives from Iou.” With that the Admiral’s face stiffens.
“Help is indeed on the way but we MUST take the superweapon out, and now. We might not get another chance as we were lucky our scouts even detected the weapon X. As much as i would like to entertain a mock offensive, the senator is correct, we do not have the resources to mount an effective and believable fake-out. No. we must attack and attack hard. Lady Inrokini, you are the only one who can override my wishes. What say you?”
The Lady Inrokini stands before the face of the Admiral her stature stern and confident. “I concur Admiral, you may begin your offensive. May luck favor us all… I will require the use of your agents present here with me now, to continue to help with our defenses until you return.” With that a chorus of dissension and moans erupt from the members in the room. The admiral bows his head and cuts communication. Members within the room begin shouting, many in the Ladies direction. She stands before them silently for a moment then raises her right hand. The room instantly becomes silent as if time stopped. “Our cities Warden is in charge of all city assets and the defenses are set or being set up.” She looks at all of you. “Agents, we have defenses in place to defend our city the best we can, but we will need you and your skills to guide us on this dark day. I would not presume to tell you what to do or how best to utilize each of your strengths but needless to say we will need help repelling a full out attack as i suspect that once our orbital cover is gone, the Ssi will push and push hard. Please get with Warden Mullisten and inform him how you will help save our city.” After that statement she abruptly departs the chambers and everyone else follows soon after. As you get up you notice one face still remains on the holofeed. “Greetings members of team Hydra. I am Warden Mullisten. Our resources are divided and allocated to maximize our ground and air forces. I must say that once the bolts begin flying the airspace will be at a premium so i would ask that only one of you assist with the air battle. The others will be needed to repel the ground assault which in our estimation will be much more substantial. How would you all like to intigrate into our defenses?”

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Jace thinks perhaps it is best if he takes the sky. While both Tyr and Wrrlrirr are of equal or better piloting skill, Jace admits that he will not be as effective at repelling the ground forces.
Jace will do what he can (with some Knowledge Tactics) to advise on the posting of guards for maximum tactical advantage. Also, if his computer skills or knowledge of Ssi-Ruuvi tech is at all helpful, he will offer himself in that regard, as well.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Keet Kaa is happy to serve with the ground forces, but has a soft spot for Jace’s ship. He would be happy to man the turret if Jace wants some company. Basically, he will go where he is needed and help however he can.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Tyr is more than willing to follow Jace’s command on this. He is prepared to serve in the ground team and Grace is willing to assist in any capacity that she can be useful in.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Warden Mullisten looks over you all and nods his head. “Jace, your starship will be most welcome. As for the others, i would request you take position along the primary defensive perimeter. Please proceed to the following coordinates.Based on motion tracking, the enemy is moving into position and will be attacking very soon. Once the enemy begins their assault on the spires please direct all firepower to the ground targets, the air space above the city will be full.” With that you all proceed to the primary perimeter, aside from jace and Keet who make way to Jace’s ship. Mullisten follows you (Jace and Keet) and explains that you will be given a code (77266) and very specific flight path that is subject to change. He highlights the importance of following the flightpath. Unlike the ground units, you are authorized/encouraged to engage ground targets as long as no air targets are available and you continue to follow the path. With that you all wait…
After, what feels like an eternity of waiting, the air raid sirens begin signalling an enemy offensive. Not a minute after, the deafening sound of heavy artillery explosions erupt within the city and all at once the treeline surrounding the city explodes with Ssi and P’w’eck forces both on foot and on speeder pod all racing to the city. The defenders begin to open fire taking scores of the first wave of P’w’ecks and Ssi droids, but just as one drops, two take their place, reinforced from the trees. Despite the mines and suppression fire the Ssi wave reaches the primary defensive perimeter as denoted on your HUDs. With that your HUDs display a clear “ENGAGE” in red blinking letters and you all join the fray. Please tell me what you will do during the fray and provide for three attack rolls/skill checks. Feel free to be creative. You are perched on one of the outer spires of the city and Ssi forces are bobbing and weaving throughout the streets below and some begin to scale the spires looking for Chiss to kill.

Meanwhile, Jace and Keet wait in Jace’s ship, engines primed and weapon systems hot. The sirens go off and you receive “77266, proceed along the red flight path and engage at will.” Jace please give me three pilot checks and another 1 action, doing whatever you want (again feel free to be creative), Ian give me three rolls with whatever you want to do…

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Tyr knows that there are many questions in front of him, not the least of which is the fact that some of these creatures he is about to fight may be a part of the Force. More than that however, he knows that now the line is clear and that these are enemies that must be stopped, by any means necessary. The fate of this whole world might very well depend on this battle.
Tyr steps out on the ledge of the spire that he is standing on, draws on the Force and wrenches a massive piece of rubble into the air (Move Object, use the force check 34) and hurls it into the fray, aiming to hit as many of the swarming Ssi as he can. He shouts for Zan to cover him if he can and steps off the ledge, dropping to the ground below (Surge, Use the Force check 31), using the Force as a cushion to avoid breaking a limb. Igniting his lightsaber as he falls, he lands in a crouch at the base of the spire, amidst a group of stunned Chiss soldiers. He quickly surveys the battlefield and then reaches out to the nearest, highest ranking Ssruuvi leader in the mass before him, ripping him from his pack and drawing him into range (draw closer Use the force 21). As the red scaled lizard flips himself around in midair to face his attacker, hate burning in his eyes, Tyr wills the Force to aid his arm (battle Strike, Use the force 22) and swings his lightsaber at the creature (Attack roll 26, 21 standard dmg, 8 Battle strike dmg). He stands firm, lightsaber at the ready, waiting to see if the one at his feet will rise, all the while searching for his next target in the mass in front of him…

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Keet will be manning (whaling?) the turret on Jace’s ship, while keeping an eye on the pilot. He will take direction from Jace as to priority targets and search for targets on his own if no targets are called out.

The first target he would like to use his Devastating Hit Maneuver to shoot. I rolled a 13 (+14 turret modifiers) for a total of 27. He would like to spend a force point (rolling 4 and a 1) to add 4 to the total (31).

The Second Target he would like to use Rapid Shot. I rolled a 16 (+12 turret modifiers) for a total of 28.

The Third Target he would like to use Rapid Shot. I rolled a 17 (+12 turret modifiers) for a total of 29.

Since he is keeping an eye on Jace, if Jace fails or needs a better roll he will use Enlighten. (Part of the reason he went with Jace is to make sure he succeeds and provide support.) I rolled a 13 (17 UTF mod) for a total of 30. He will also spend a force point to keep the effect going for a second round. For the second round I again rolled a 13 (17 UTF mod) for a total of 30.

On the off chance that Jace needs some healing, he will use Vital Transfer. I rolled a 16 (+17 UTF) for a total of 33. Jace would heal 4 x character lvl (40 HP) and Keet would spend a Force point to not suffer damage himself.

After the battle he will regain a spent force point thanks to Force Point Recovery.

If we get shot down or crash or get cut off from communications, Keet will attempt to connect with Tyr or Frendo Maw through the Force.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Not sure why that section is underlined… /shrug

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Xan’Koth nods to Tyr, “Call if you require aid Jedi Tyr. I will hold until they close on the perimeter below”. With that he will fire a missile on the group closest to their position (16 + 12 =28) and then he attempts to find some cover with a stealth roll (11 + 14 = 25) & (27 vs electronic ). Giving the attackers a moment Xan attacks the approaching forces with a critical (20 + 12=32).

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Jace will punch in the coordinates and begin to fly, keeping low and doing what he can disrupt enemy units with that he encounters on the way. He does his best to use the natural terrain to funnel the enemies as best he can.
Knowledge Tactics – 1d20+13 – 23
Pilot 1 1d20+17 – 32
Pilot 2 1d20+17 – 25
Pilot 3 1d20+17 – 28

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

Jace can replace any two consecutive rolls with a 30 per Keet’s Enlighten above. (With GM’s permission, of course)

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
 

OOC I’m assuming that the TIE Defender was unwanted or unneeded in the battle above the planet? Wrrlrirr is willing to help in either battle, wherever he is more needed. I’ll assume he’s only wanted on the ground /OOC

Wrrlrirr is going to leave taking down massive waves to those with heavy weapons and the Force. He believes he’ll be much more effective pinpointing high priority targets, and as such, he’s going to try to stealth (roll of 24) into a place where he can line up his shots without drawing too much attention. He’ll then take his time aiming each shot for Ssi ruuvi, using what he knows of their hierarchy to pick out those which are likely to be high ranking, especially red ones. (attack rolls: 1d20+12 results are 16, 27, and 22 total. If he can use his Lucky Shot on any misses, he will, getting 16, 32 (nat 20) and 14 with the rerolls).

After he is able to take down some officers, or if his friends seem in need of help, he’ll refocus his aim on who or whatever is harassing Tyr and his other ground-bound companions.

Act 5; Scene 1 (PBP)
arcticfox6

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.